Chemistry-Week 2-Class Discussion

I am replying about our break-out group's discussion on the ingestion of plastic particles. I find it disturbing how much plastic is in the world. As much as I try to avoid the stuff, it finds its way into our home in the form of packaging, bags, to-go containers, and toys. We have a whole section under our kitchen sink donated to reused plastic bags, and we reuse plastic bags for kitty litter. We wash used plastic bags (unless they have raw meat then we throw those in the garbage). We reuse bags as much as possible, but they accumulate so fast. We also try to reuse plastic bags as garbage bags. If we order out and plastic containers are used, we wash them and reuse them as well. We try to do a little to make a difference, but I don't know if it does anything because there is so much plastic it seems like we are drowning in it even when we try to make a difference.
The thing that disturbs me in addition to humans ingesting plastic is the animals that ingest it and suffer or die. They are having to succumb to our poor choices and have no choice but to ingest plastic. Unless, we make drastic changes to omit plastic as much as possible, we will continue to poison the earth and everything in it. On the other hand, I don't think it's too late to make a difference but we need to act and make changes. The fact is that plastic needs to not be an option. The companies who produce it and make billions need to find other ways to use packaging that is not destructive to the planet. This sounds ideal and an easy fix, but in reality it is not.

Comments

Thomas Thompson said…
Hi Amanda I can relate on the plastic bags. Since I live in Oklahoma we are in the land of the plastic bag. Now with Covid-19 we are forced to use the plastic bag, but we can return our stuff to our shopping cart and bag it up in our vehicle. We mostly follow your practices when we are being conscious. Most times if I find myself throwing away a plastic bag, I find myself tearing it up into tiny pieces with the hope an animal couldn't get its head caught in the handles. I'm late in posting this because I couldn't post comments for the last few weeks for some reason. I logged out and logged back in and I'm also using a different browser which no one but me is logged into google since I'm using that for authentication. Fingers crossed....