Physics-Week 2-Is the universe "weird"?

I wouldn't describe the universe as weird. I think there are things that happen within the universe that are weird, but the universe itself seems to have a solid understanding of what it going on. In terms of patterns, synchronicity, timing, and directional change, the universe appears to know what is going on. There is no mistaking that patterns and synchronicity are everywhere. This is shown in the shape of a flower or a snowflake and the thought process that leads to the phone call from a friend you were just thinking of and hadn't talked to in years. The seasons, the starts, the rotation of the plants all seem to have a purpose. To me that is not weird. Although I do find myself saying, "I was just thinking about so-and-so and then I ran into them at the store. That's so weird." The concept of weird is something we can't explain, and yes there are things that happen in the universe that we cannot explain so maybe they are weird. On the other hand, these events are explainable, but we just haven't been able to explain them all yet. If I were to say the universe is weird, I would mean it to be all things that happen that I cannot explain.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I do agree with you! Weird is such a funny word. All things not understood could be weird..and then with understanding, they are weird no longer! I also agree with the universe having a very intentional direction, which sometimes doesn't feel like direction at all until you have arrived full circle at that moment of 'Ah Hah', now it all makes sense. =) Clever one, that universe.