Physics-Week 1-The Meaning of Time

Time is a fascinating topic since it has been studied and debated almost as long as humans have existed. Time has been studied with stars, the sun, the moon, and seasons. Humans create understanding of existence through the observation of these natural cycles. We plant crops based on the seasons and the cycle of the moon. We create calendars to keep track of these reoccurring cycles.

The clock which tells us current time in numbers a fairly new concept compared to the natural cycles of Earth and the plants. So this concept is dissociative to me in that it does not line up with the natural inner cycle. Rather it creates rigidity and inability to connect with the greater natural cycle of life. Since we are the only species that measure time in terms of seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, etc. we have lost the meaning of what it is to actually live in the moment. It's no wonder then that the goal in the practice of meditation is to focus on the breath which in turn is to focus on the present moment and nothing else.

There are many factors which have led to the feeling that time is speeding up. One of which I believe is the increased use of technology especially social media. Instead of bringing people closer and saving time, I have experienced and witness quite the opposite. In many ways, it has created physical distance and emotional separation. Also, it seems to create a sense of busyness in which one can never truly catch up with all that needs to be completed. In this way, there is never enough time in the day, and time controls our daily existence.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Amanda :)

I wholeheartedly agree with your reflections, specifically on the feeling of time speeding up and our disconnection to the natural rhythms due to technology, the technology meant to connect us even more! Since ridding myself of social media, I have felt a weight lifted and so much more space! I am relearning to enjoy my interactions with others in a more meaningful way and to put more thought and intention into the way I am communicating with others. It feels good to go back in time ;)
I have a hard time with meditation in stillness and have noticed how active my monkey mind is always! I so appreciate those moments that occur when, upon reflection, I have realized..yes!..that was an enjoyable experience because I was thoroughly in the moment with it.
Giselle said…
Hi Amanda,

I wrote about very similar ideas in my blog, though yours is written so eloquently!
I often reflect on the feeling of time speeding up the older I get. I've never thought about the idea that my increase in use of technology and social media has aided that sensation. I'm fully aware that it sucks time out of my day... and deleting my social media is something that has been on my mind a lot lately, especially now that school has become drastically more intense. Even more than my use of social media, I seem to spend so much of my time on my phone texting. I dream about being free of these technological 'advances' and am curious of how much extra time there would be to do simple things like cook, garden, or go for a walk. I wonder - if I spent a year off of social media & only allowed phone calls from my friends and family, would that year feel slower than the ones that are currently flying by?