Chemistry-Week 5-class discussion

I was in the breakout group that discussed the article about lemon juice and baking soda together being a remedy for COVID-19. First off, this came from a social media post so we know anyone could have posted it and made it sound matter-of-fact. As of now, there is no known cure or remedy for COVID-19. There is still so little that we know about it and I don't think very much, if anything, that we are certain of about it. So for someone to make a statement of fact that lemon juice and baking soda can create less acid in the body and help cure COVID is absurd. Maybe creating less acid in the body is better and beneficial overall, but not a cure or a single reason to take it based on the little known facts that we already have. It seems that some people are grasping at straws to find a solution and help cure people by suggesting random dietary prescriptions such as this one.

Comments

Iris Lee said…
Sigh...I agree unfortunately there's enough people on the interwebs grasping at anything to make stuff up and have it go viral. It almost feels like the folks who come up with this stuff and share it are seeking that 'viral' or recognition for themselves. It's really unfortunate and sad that our education system fails a lot of the population who may rely and experiment with this and could potentially harm their own bodily systems.
DB_28 said…
There are so many "COVID" cures I have quickly lost track. It is dangerous to post articles on the information as if it were a fact. I feel lemon has an AMAzING healing power (that I now have more science to back me up) but for sure not enough to support that it can make such a huge difference for so many people who are sick (and possibly desperate to try anything) right now.

I hope that we can use education to help protect people from false information in order to keep them safe and not do anything to further harm their body.