Chemistry-Week 7-Alchemy – science, magic, art – or all three?

I think alchemy encompasses all three-science, magic, and art. For instance the gold tree Lawrence Principe discovered after mixing mercury and gold was initially a science experiment. The outcome was magical and beautiful. The structure of the formation was like art.
After I read the article about creating cheaper metals it made me think about the magic and energy that certain substances contains. For instance, I own pieces of jewelry from metals such as gold, silver, stainless steal, and copper, but also from cheaply made metals that I don't know of there chemical breakdown. I can't say for sure if the cheaper ones give less beneficial energy, but it would be something interesting to test.
One thing I really liked that Principe said was about how scientists and the like state that their "discoveries are completely new," but that, “They don’t just sort of come to someone in a
dream, out of nowhere. New scientific ideas tend to develop out of older ones by a slow
process of evolution and refinement.” "Better to think of it as a transmutation, like the alchemists’ quest to change lead into gold." In terms of general alchemy, "new" ideas and discovery are being made, but they stem from older discoveries. I think this is true with most things whether it be alchemy, science, magic, or art.

Comments