Physics-Week 6-E-Primer

Since reading the E-Primer article, I have checked myself from time to time noticing how I am wording my opinions and thoughts. Are they matter-of-fact or do I offer room for opinion and interpretation? I have to consciously make the decision to think about my thoughts and then how I will formulate my words. It's not easy.
I do like making the effort though because I think it is important to think about what we say as it is coming out of our mouths. I have said stupid things so many times, later wishing I had just been quiet and not said anything at all. I often speak matter-of-fact or with demand especially at my family members. If I were to go around always saying, "I think you just spilled that, I would appreciate you cleaning it up" instead of "You spilled that. Clean it up, please" my kids would probably appreciate that more. I find that it takes more time and effort to word things that way and I am usually in a hurry so I just tell them what needs to be done.
There are a handful of topics we have covered in Physics this term that stand out. This is one of them, and I would like to make a goal to slow down and really focus on my words before they come out of my mouth. I think I will find a lot of silence from myself. :)

Comments

Thomas Thompson said…
I need some E-Prime and some non-violent communications for to mirror to my children. I have a good friend who is a Non-Violent Communications facilitator and I'm certainly not using NVC while writing that because I didn't go see what is current language they are using to describe themselves. I tried to describe this E-prime to my wife and she sorta scratched her head which likely means I didn't do the best job describing it. Of course, I only used the really silly examples so that probably didn't help either. I went and read further about it and the point seemed to be to stay in the critical thinking mode which I can get behind despite any evidence otherwise.
Amanda K-A said…
Becoming a parent is one of the hardest, if not the hardest things, I've ever done. Especially since starting school again, I tend to be more impatient and unwilling to slow down and use E-Prime statements. It is essential that I do though. It's always a balancing act. Some days I fail bad, but most days we get by. I want to have more days that I can say, "yeah, I did a good job today."
Thanks for your thoughts, Thomas!